Mr. Kallio has 30 years experience both in energy utility and consulting company. Balance of plant (BOP) equipment purchasing, dimensioning and process issues have been major tasks in many biomass, gas turbine combined cycle, coal fired power plant and district heating/cooling projects in Europe and South-East Asia. Mr. Kallio has also strong layout and piping engineering background.
Thermal Energy Storage (TES) technologies, especially steam accumulator applications have been his interest and main focus in the last 10 years. Mr. Kallio has experienced over 20 accumulator projects worldwide and has created the SteamBoost consept.
Other special skills are:
- turbine bypass, PRDS, desuperheating stations and blowout silencers, over 30 projects worldwide
- main cooling water (MCW) intake and pump stations, over 20 projects worldwide
- cold end optimizing, turbine condenser and cooling tower combination operational characteristics (once through, wet, dry, Heller or hybrid cooling towers)
- district heating and district cooling (DH/DC) pump station system layouts and power optimization
- feed water and condensate extraction pump configurations, power optimization and troubleshooting
- fuel oil storage and tank farm areas, over 15 projects worldwide
In 2006-2012 Mr. Kallio had Pöyry’s long term assignments as lead mechanical engineer, engineering manager and senior adviser in Thailand, Vietnam and Spain.
In 1996-2006 Mr. Kallio joined Ekono Energy (now Pöyry) as a purchasing engineer in Plant Design and later as a senior advisor in Process Design department. He participated in several projects in the domestic market, Nordic and Baltic countries, Russia, China, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Ireland, UK, France, Poland, Germany, Belgium and Italy.
In 1983-1996 Mr. Kallio worked for Helsinki Energy as a project engineer in Power Plant Engineering department. His major projects were two coal fired power plants, two desulfurization plants and two gas turbine combined cycle plants. He was also involved in several district heating HOB plants and supertunnel transmission pipeline project.